I’m not kidding. These were not fired off by the city at the big park, or down at Huntington Beach Pier. These were from a neighboring street behind our house.
Still no tripod. Out of 36 shots, only 4 are usable. I’m totally motivated to get a tripod, now.
Oh, and I think I broke every rule in this article from Digital Photography School on shooting fireworks:
- I didn’t use a tripod or anything to substitute for it,
- I used a high ISO (3200) to compensate for the lack of tripod,
- my aperture was not in the recommended range of f/8 – f/16 (it was at f/6.3, which is perhaps close enough to the rule),
- I had no idea how to get to “bulb” mode on my camera (I do now, though!) so I just shot in Aperture mode, letting the camera figure out the right shutter speed,
- and forget any concept of framing, I was just hoping I didn’t end up with fragments of fireworks.
These four pictures, they are a miracle.